I never thought to combine blueberries with brownies, but I found this recipe in Veganomicon intriguing so I gave it a try!! I must say, this is my new favorite brownie recipe!!! The ice cream and blueberry topping are the icing on the cake!!!! J
What you need:
2/3 cup plus ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (I use TJs brand)
10 ounces blueberry jelly or jam (I used a pure fruit spread, TJ brand of course)
¼ cup non-dairy milk (soy, almond, or coconut)
¾ cup sugar (I use evaporated cane juice from TJs)
½ cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 cup fresh blueberries
What you do:
1) Preheat oven to 325
2) Grease a 9x13 baking pan
3) Melt the 2/3 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave
4) In a large mixing bowl combine the jam, milk, sugar, canola oil and extracts
5) Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt
6) Add the melted chocolate chips
7) Mix well
8) Add the ½ cup chocolate chips
9) Fold in the fresh blueberries
10) Bake for 45 minutes (although I recommend 50 minutes – was a little gooey in the center.
11) Remove from the oven and serve with ice cream and blueberry topping.
12) Best if the brownies and blueberry topping are still warm!!!
Ice cream: I recommend So Delicious Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean or TJs Coconut Milk Chocolate ice cream.
Blueberry Compote (ie topping)
Make your own with:
16 ounces fresh blueberries
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs evaporated cane juice (more if you want it sweeter)
Place in quart pot on low heat and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
10 out of 11 fudgy pudgy thumbs up! (one is not a chocolate lover)