No need to go camping to have these yummy treats! Once again Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero (authors of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World) have out done themselves! I was a little skeptical at first when I saw graham cracker crumbs were part of the cupcake, but boy oh boy were they moist and delicious!
These cupcakes have taken over my kitchen (and belly!). J
Here is their recipe (with only a few modifications):
What you need for the cupcakes:
3⁄4 cup Brown Sugar
1⁄2 cup Canola Oil
2 Tbs Molasses
1⁄4 cup plain Non-dairy Yogurt
1 1⁄4 cup Non-dairy milk (soy, almond, or coconut)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1⁄2 tsp Baking Soda
1⁄2 tsp Cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp Salt
1⁄2 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Mix brown sugar, oil, molasses, yogurt, milk and vanilla in a large bowl.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a separate bowl and mix. Add graham cracker crumbs and mix it up.
4. Add dry ingredients to the wet in three batches, mixing well after each addition.
5. Fill cupcake liners full. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Let cool completely before decorating.
6 Graham Cracker Rectangles, broken in half
Dandies Vegan Marshmallows
Quick Melty Ganache
3 Tbs Non-dairy milk (soy, almond, or coconut)
1/3 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Combine milk with chocolate chips and microwave for about 45 seconds. Stir till creamy. Set aside till ready to decorate.
Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
1⁄2 cup Non-Hydrogenated Shortening
1⁄2 cup Non-Hydrogenated Margarine (Earth Balance)
3 1⁄2 cup Powdered Sugar
1 1⁄2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1⁄4 cup Plain Non-dairy Milk
Beat shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Add vanilla and non-dairy milk, beat for another 5 to 7 minutes or so until fluffy.
Spread the chocolate ganache over the top of the cupcake. Then spread or pipe a thick layer of Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting onto each cupcake. Place a graham cracker and marshmallow on top. Sprinkle with chocolate curls. Then gobble them up!