These delicious cupcakes were adapted from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau’s recipe in the Joy of Vegan Baking. Simple, healthy and delicious. If in a hurry, you can always use store bought frosting (most are vegan). If making your own there are many non-dairy varieties; from tofu based, to coconut milk, to non-dairy cream cheese. I have listed my favorite frosting recipe below.
What you need: (makes 16 cupcakes)
3 tbs ground flaxseed (this serves as your “egg”)
½ cup water
2/3 cup canola oil
1.5 cups finely grated peeled carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp salt
1 recipe cream cheese frosting (see below)
What you do:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Line cupcake pan with liners.
3) In a blender, mix the ground flaxseed and water till creamy.
4) Add oil and blend till combined.
5) Transfer to a bowl and add carrots, walnuts, and raisins. Mix.
6) In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients.
7) Mix the wet and dry ingredients combine thoroughly. Do not overmix.
8) Pour into cupcake pan. Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
9) Let cool for 1 hr then frost.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces of non-dairy cream cheese (I prefer the TJs brand)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
Whip the cream cheese and vanilla extract with a hand held mixer, slowly add the sugar ¼ of a cup at a time. Frost your cooled cupcakes and decorate!